Do you have a big interest in emerging technologies that can boost the research at VIB and would you love to work in a stimulating environment?
Apply here to join the VIB Tech Watch team!
VIB is currently looking for a qualified and motivated Life Sciences Technology Specialist
The Technology Watch Team at VIB is continuously analyzing the potential of emerging and disruptive technologies to advance research at VIB. Where appropriate, we mediate privileged access to these platforms by forming partnerships and negotiating purchasing licenses.
The Technology Innovation Lab was set-up in 2017, as part of the Tech Watch initiative, to evaluate the potential of prototype instruments and early-stage technologies from high-potential fields (e.g. CRISPR, single-cell analysis, multiplex imaging…) to be internalized within VIB. As such, the innovation lab has the potential to change how technologies in Life Science research fields can be explored and adopted.
To this end, we are looking to expand the Technology Watch Team with a Life Sciences Technology Specialist.
In this role, you’ll be actively exploring the potential of novel life sciences technologies and instruments through pilot projects which you will run for and in collaboration with multiple VIB groups. We expect you to evaluate 3-4 pre-commercial and/or recently commercialized instruments or technology platforms for their potential to create value for the VIB community each year (through papers, IP, service fees etc.).
You’ll function as a liaison between emerging life science companies and VIB scientists, facilitating breakthrough science through pilot projects on novel instruments. Your skill set in Life Sciences is adaptable and you already have some experience in working with new technology platforms. Alongside this, you have strong interpersonal skills and therefore have the ability to work with multiple PI’s / Core facilities in a flexible manner.
- Ph.D. in Life Sciences, preferably with a technology-oriented focus
- Strong hands-on lab skills and troubleshooting experience
- Strong project management skills
- Excellent IT-knowledge
- Strong and broad interest in the interplay of science, technology and business
Desirable but not required:
- Experience in technologies related to Proteomics / Sequencing / Microfluidics / Engineering / Single Cell technologies is considered a plus
Key personal characteristics:
- Strong capability to work independently as well as in team
- Excellent organizational, communication, writing, networking, negotiation and problem solving skills
How to apply?
Motivated candidates are asked to apply online. Applications for this position should be written in English and include:
- A 1-page cover letter.
- A 1-2 page CV, summarizing the applicant’s career, including a list of publications and contact information for three referees.
Applications (cover letter + CV) should be submitted as a single pdf file.